Do smokeless ashtray work?

Question

My friend smokes in her home and she doesn't notice it because she smokes but when I visit I swear there is a cloud of nasty cigarette smoke around her. I equate it to the cartoon character Pigpen from Charlie Brown. I suggested an air filter or cleaner of some sort but from what I've seen on the internet they run about $600.00, she won't pay that, but she might consider a cheaper alternative (smokeless ashtray). I don't want to visit her with my son who is 10 months old if she continues this way. Please help us find a solution.

Answer

I would not visit her if that concerns you with your son. She will be offended, but you can't ask her to change what she does in her home either. It is not 'proper' so to speak, to tell or suggest what people do in their own homes or to suggest that they get an air filter or a smokeless ashtray. You mentioned your concern to her and she is not being proactive to find a solution. I see your only option is to have her over or just go and say nothing.
Situations like this are tricky because we want to show acceptance to our friends, yet we have standards of our own too. But I would not ask her to change what she does in her own home, I would just stop going. Go for walks, out for coffee, have her over, etc
The smokeless ashtray helps a little bit. What I found was they really only do any good when the cig. is right on the smokeless ashtray. How long do you leave it sitting on the smokeless ashtray? I didn't very much. And every time you take a drag, a huge amount of smoke is given off by the cigarette into the air.

Best to smoke outside.

No comments: